To apply for GIMUN 2021, you must thoroughly and carefully read, understand and accept these policies.
Exceptions to Policies and Rules
The Secretariat of the conference are the only staff members empowered to grant exceptions to any conference policies or other general GIMUN practices. GIMUN is not liable for any erroneous statements made by other staff members regarding exceptions to fees or policies.
Observing COVID-19 Protocols
Due to the global pandemic of COVID-19, all participants should strictly observe all necessary COVID-19 protocols laid down by the Government of Ghana and the host institution. Such protocols include but not limited to regular handwashing with soap under running water; the use of alcohol-based hand sanitizer; mandatory wearing of face mask; and social distancing.
Privacy and Intellectual Property Policies
- GIMUN reserves the right to utilize all data submitted by individuals to GIMUN and to collect data in the form of photographs or videos during the conference and social events without limitations. Such photos, video, and other audio/visual material taken and/or recorded by GIMUN, featuring any individual including guests may be used and published for promotional educational, or other purposes by GIMUN and its partners.
- Plagiarism is a serious issue at GIMUN. We want our delegates and officials to present very unique and original ideas. Delegates must take serious steps to credit the original sources of all quoted and paraphrased materials in their works and presentations prior to the conference and on conference grounds. Faculty Advisors and Committee Bureau are therefore encouraged to assist delegates in dealing with issues of citations to avoid many plagiarism issues which are likely to occur. Delegates must feel free to seek for guidance so that they will not be victims of plagiarism.
- All registrants agree that no data, results, and materials for use in GIMUN 2021 will be disseminated by means of publications, reports, conferences, or any other form without the express written consent from GIMUN of which these products, data, results, and materials are its exclusive property.
- GIMUN reserves the right to update and change information without further notice.
Security, Valuables, Tags and Curfew Policies
- If delegates bring valuables, they are encouraged to place them in the hostel porters’ lodge. GIMUN and the conference and social event venue management are not responsible for belongings left in committee rooms or social event venues or buses.
- For security reasons, delegates are required to wear GIMUN embossed tags throughout the conference period. Delegates without tags may not be allowed to access certain facilities and services. Delegates must report cases of lost badges to conference staff immediately for replacement at extra fees.
- Curfew will be strictly enforced by the GIMUN staff and Hostel Security at the times indicated on the conference schedule. After curfew, Delegates must remain quietly in their assigned rooms; delegates will not be permitted to pass through hallways or to be in rooms to which they are not assigned. This includes departures from assigned rooms to accept food deliveries. GIMUN staff will remain on the floor and security patrols will continue throughout the night.
- The Hostel has authorized GIMUN security staff and hostel staff to exercise appropriate supervision including entry to Delegates’ rooms to enforce security rules.
- During conference registration, Faculty Advisors will have to disclose to GIMUN Staff where members of their delegations will stay throughout the conference period other than the official conference hostel. All individual delegates will have to do same if they will not stay at the official conference hostel.
Alcohol, Controlled Substances and Smoking Policies
- Consumption and/or possession of alcohol at the conference will not be tolerated under any circumstances. If a Delegate is found to possess, consume and/or to have possessed or to have consumed alcohol at the conference, the participant’s school will be immediately expelled from the conference and hostel; criminal complaints may be pursued against the Delegate in question.
- Controlled substances are likewise illegal and intolerable. The school of any participant found to unlawfully possess or use, or to have unlawfully possessed or used any controlled substance will be immediately expelled from the conference and hostel; criminal complaints may be pursued against the participant in question.
- Cigarette smoking is NOT permitted in the Great Hall, Research Commons, Law Faculty and International House or in any other conference hostel or facility.
Cancellation Due to Weather Conditions or Health Issue
GIMUN 2021 will take place from 28-31 July, 2021 regardless of the weather conditions. GIMUN shall not provide refunds to delegates/delegations that choose not to attend due to inclement weather or due to a health epidemic. Additionally, GIMUN reserves the right to cancel the conference in the case of extreme circumstances, such as a national crisis, a health epidemic or major natural disaster.
Code of Conduct
- Applicants hereby certify by completing the application process that all information submitted is truthful and accurate. The applicant understands that falsification of any information provided will disqualify him or her from participation in GIMUN 2021 and future GIMUN activities, and falsification of information or impersonation will result in legal actions.
- Participants are expected and obliged to obey the laws of the Republic of Ghana while participating in GIMUN. Delegates shall be held responsible for any willful or negligent damage to GIMUN property and the venues and premises of the Social Events, including Pre-Conference, In-Conference and Post Conference Events, and that they will also to be held responsible for the replacement and/or compensation of any damage been held responsible to have caused.
- Participants understands full assumption of risk and acknowledges that GIMUN, and its members, officers, elected representatives and employees, including the GIMUN student Secretariat team, do not assume any responsibility for the conduct and activities of the participant.
- The Secretariat reserves the right to immediately expel delegates from both the conference and the conference center due to unacceptable behavior. The Secretariat reserves the right to define appropriate conference behavior and is particularly sensitive to issues involving displays of disrespect to other delegates, conference staff, and conference center staff. All conference participation materials (including badges and placards) must be surrendered to GIMUN staff once expelled.
- Participants further agree to accept and abide by the Code of Conduct which will be published as a Handbook and as decided by the GIMUN Executive Chairman and Secretary-General.
Country and Committee Assignments
Delegates will not be assigned committees and countries until at least fifty percent of the total conference fees have been paid. Committee and Country assignments will be made within ten working days after delegate conference fees payment is made. A country preference is not a guarantee to receiving this country assignment, and all decisions of the GIMUN Secretariat with regard to committee and country assignments are final. The registration fee will not be refunded even if a delegate or delegation does not accept its country assignment.
Delegates are expected to be in their respective committee rooms during committee sessions. In order for delegates to leave their committee rooms for an extended period of time, both their Chair and their Head Delegate/Faculty Advisor must be informed ahead of time. Furthermore, all delegates are expected to abide by committee dress code (western business attire, or national dress). Delegates must sign the Committee attendance book at every session. Delegates who absent themselves without permission for a total of ninety minutes of the entire committee session hours shall not be entitled to delegate participation certificate and may be banned from participating in two subsequent GIMUN Conferences.
Refund of Fees Paid
There shall be no refund of any amount paid as conference fees under any circumstance.
Transfer of Fees Paid
Fees paid by individuals and groups could only be transferred to another delegate or member of the group by writing to the Budget Officer not later than 01 July, 2021. Any application for transfer after this date shall not be entertained. Email could be sent to email@example.com. The applicant for the transfer must explain why he/she is withdrawing from the conference. Approval of transfer would only be given by the Executive Chairman before the transfer could be finalized. The email should state the name and contacts of the beneficiary of the transfer. Beneficiaries should have applied for GIMUN 2021 before transfer of fees could be made to his/her name. Charges of twenty-five percent (25%) of the total conference fees shall be applied.
Payment of Extra Fees
Extra fees shall be charged for the replacements of lost or misplaced conference badges, placards, and handbooks. GIMUN will send e-certificates of participation to all delegates by email. If anyone requires a printed copy, it shall be considered at a fee.
These rules are in addition to those established by the Republic of Ghana, University of Ghana and common sense. Serious infractions will result in dismissal from the conference of those involved.
The Executive Chairman in consultation with the Secretary-General reserves the right to issue additional rules or to alter existing rules at any time.